Parts of Greater Accra, Tema and Kumasi, to be locked down from Monday.
President Nana Akufo-Addo has announced restrictions in movements in parts of the Greater Accra and Ashanti Regions from Monday for two weeks. The decision forms part of the latest raft of measures introduced to control the spread of the novel Coronavirus.
The lockdown will affect places like Accra, Tema, Kasoa, and Kumasi. Subsequently, residents in the affected areas can only go out to get essential services such as food, conduct banking transactions or use the public toilet.
Addressing the nation on the government’s efforts and measures to fight COVID-19 on Friday evening, President Nana Akufo-Addo urged Ghanaians to comply with the lockdown.
”For the next two weeks, I urge all of you, especially those affected, to be reminded every day that the front-line in the fight against coronavirus is your front door. People in the affected areas must stay at home in the next two weeks. If you must go out, it should be to get essentials, go to the bank or to use a public toilet. I urge you to bear with these measures. They are being done in the interest of all of us” he stated.
Akufo-Addo also reiterated the ban on public gatherings.
”The ban on public gatherings, religious and social, is still in place. Anyone found flouting it will be dealt with in accordance with the law” he said.
The lockdown comes into effect from 1:00 a.m. on Monday, March 30, and will remain enforceable for a period of two weeks subject to review.
Affected areas in Greater Accra
In Greater Accra, the following areas will be affected:
1. Accra Metropolis;
2. Tema Metropolis;
3. Tema West Municipality;
4. Ledzokuku Municipality;
5. Krowor Municipality;
6. Adentan Municipality;
7. Ashiaman Municipality;
8. La-Nkwantanang-Madina Municipality;
9. La-Dade-Kotopon Municipality;
10. Okaikwei North Municipality;
11. Ablekuma North Municipality;
12. Ablekuma West Municipality;
13. Ablekuma Central Municipality;
14. Ayawaso East Municipality;
15. Ayawaso North Municipality;
16. Ayawaso West Municipality;
17. Ayawaso Central Municipality
18. Ga West Municipality;
19. Ga North Municipality;
20. Ga Central Municipality;
21. Ga South Municipality;
22. Ga East Municipality;
23. Korle-Klottey Municipality;
24. Weija/Gbawe Municipality;
25. Kpone Katamanso Municipality; and
26. Awutu Senya East Municipality.
Affected areas in Kumasi
In the Greater Kumasi Metropolitan Area and contiguous districts, the following areas are affected:
1. Kumasi Metropolis;
2. Asokwa Municipality;
3. Suame Municipality;
4. Old Tafo Municipality;
5. Oforikrom Municipality;
6. Asokore Mampong Municipality;
7. Kwadaso Municipality;
8. Atwima Nwabiagya Municipality;
9. Kwabre East Municipality;
10. Ejisu Municipality;
11. Afigya-Kwabre South District;
12. Bosomtwi District;
13. Atwima Kwanwoma District; and
14. Atwima Nwabiagya North District.