List of MMDCE nominees approved, yet to be and rejected in Western Region
President Nana Akufo-Addo released the list of Metropolitan/Municipal District Chief Executive (MMDCE) nominees list in September for his second tenure.
Out of the fourteen (14) districts in the Western Region, only two (2) of the nominees were females whiles the other twelve (12) were males.
The Metropolitan Chief Executive (MCE) for the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolitan Assembly (STMA), Hon. Abdul Mumin-Issah, and the Municipal Chief Executive for the Effia-Kwesintsim Municipal Assembly (EKMA), Hon. Kojo Acquah both ran unopposed in the lead up to the nominations.
As it is stipulated by the 1992 Constitution, the Electoral Commission is supposed to conduct the confirmation elections within 21 days as it has been done in most of the districts except the STMA, Tarkwa Nsueam Municipal and Prestea Huni-Valley Municipal as well. These three Assemblies are yet to confirm their MCE nominee.
List of MMDCES
- John Agyare – Ahanta West Municipal – Approved
- Patrict Amponteng – Amenfi Central – Approved
- Fredrick Korankye – Amenfi East – Approved
- Lord Nana Tandoh – Amenfi West – Approved
- Kojo Acquah – Effia Kwesimintsim – Approved
- Kwasi Bonzoh – Ellembelle – Approved
- Louisa Iris Arde – Jomoro – Rejected
- Ignatius Mensah – Mpohor – Approved
- Dorcas Amoah – Nzema East – Approved
- Isaac Dasmani – Prestea Huni Valley – Yet To
- Abdul Mumin Issah – Sekondi-Takoradi – Yet To
- Ebenzer Dadzie – Shama District – Rejected
- Benjamin Kessie – Tarkwa Nsuaem – Yet To
- Emmanuel Boakye – Wassa East District – Approved
Members of the Ellembelle District Assembly successfully confirmed the President’s nominee, Mr Kwesi Bonzo as the District Chief Executive (DCE) for the district after being rejected during the first confirmation vote.
He secured thirty-five (35) out of fifty-two (52) valid votes cast with some fifteen (15) ‘NO’ and two (2) rejected ballots.
However, the Shama DCE nominee, Mr Ebenezer Dadzie was also rejected during his confirmation voting after failing to secure 2/3 of the vote count and is yet to take up his chance to go for the second round of voting.
Also, Assembly Members in the Jomoro Municipality voted against the President’s nominee, Madam Louisa Iris Arde, for the post of Municipal Chief Executive (MCE).
She polled 32 ‘YES’ votes against 16 ‘NO’ votes with one rejected ballot paper in a secret ballot supervised by the Western Regional Electoral Officer of the Electoral Commission, Madam Angelina Tagoe.
Since Madam Iris Arde could not secure two-thirds majority of the vote cast, Assembly Members would have to reconvene within ten working days to cast their ballots a second time.