Congolese military delegation sent to Beni after UN peacekeepers opened fire on civilians

0 43

A Congolese military delegation was sent to Beni in the northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo on Tuesday, two days after UN peacekeepers opened fire on civilians in Kasindi, which borders Uganda, killing three and injuring several others.

“The government cannot abandon its people, that is why I am here and visiting the wounded while we are waiting for them to receive appropriate care in Beni or elsewhere, in accordance with the doctor’s orders.”, said Charles Ehuta Omeonga, military administrator of Beni territory.

Shortly after the July 31 incident, the UN said in a statement that the soldiers were “shooting and attacking for unknown reasons.” The President of the Beni Youth Council said that the UN wants to provide medical assistance to the victims.

More than 30 people were killed in protests in North Kivu last week. Participants blamed the failure of the UN mission to protect people from armed groups.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres was outraged by the shooting and called for an investigation into the Kasindi incident.

And President Felix Tshisekedi presided over an emergency meeting following reports of other deaths in Goma, Butembo, Uvira and Kanyabayonga besides Kasindi.

The situation in the area is still very tense. The Congolese police On Monday had to disperse about 100 protesters in Beni. The Congolese government has said it will meet with MONUSCO to reassess the withdrawal.

Kitsahang,DR Congo:Nepalese soldiers of Company Operating Base (COB) Kitshanga on a foot patrol in their area of domination.
You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.