2020 Budget: New Regional Hospital for Western Region to be constructed- Finance Minister
Government has expressed an intent to construct a new Regional Hospital for the Western Region, at the capital; Sekondi-Takoradi.
The project is expected to commence in 2020, together with other projects including the;
- Construction of Koforidua Regional Hospital and achieve 30 percent
- Construction of University of Ghana Teaching Hospital (Phase II);
- Construction of Maternity Block at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital;
- Reconstruction of Tema Regional Hospital;
- Reconstruction of the Central Medical Store;
- Rehabilitation and expansion of Shama and La General Polyclinics and achieve
30 percent completion;
- Refurbishment of Surgical Block at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital;
- Construction of Urology and Nephrology Centre at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital;
- Construction of Western Regional Hospital at Sekondi-Takoradi;
- Construction of 4 No. 60 bed District Hospital at Atebubu, Sampa and
- Construction of 10 No. 40-Bed Hospitals in Ashanti and Eastern Regions; and
- Construction of New District Hospitals at Obuasi and Trauma Hospital at
Currently, the only major referral center in the Western Region, is the Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital, which was established in 1938. The facility is currently with serious infrastructure defects and deficiencies, limiting its ability to serve its purpose.
The Region, according to the minister, will have one district hospital and five polyclinic, all to be sited in Akontombra, Bogoso, Wassa Dunkwa, Mpoho, Elubo and Nsuaem.